Working as an International Student in the USA

Posted5 October 2017 Visa Information Working Hours

If you want to study English in the USA and work a part-time job away from your studies, it is important to have the correct visa and be fully aware of the regulations and requirements needed.

The F-1 Student Visa

Almost all international students in the US will apply for and hold an F-1 Visa. F-1 students are allowed to work in the US, but only under strict conditions as outlined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

F-1 visas are granted to full-time students studying a degree, diploma or certificate and are enrolled at an accredited university, college or language training program. To hold the F-1 visa, students must maintain the minimum course load for full-time students, and they will then be allowed to stay in the country for up to 60 days beyond the length of time it takes to complete their academic program.

How many hours can I work per week as a student in the USA?

During the first year of study, international students are not allowed to work off campus. You can however work up to 20 hours per week part-time on campus. Popular on-campus jobs include:

  • Barista
  • Library clerk
  • Clerical assistant

After the first year of study, students are allowed to work off-campus, but will be required to meet certain guidelines as outlined by your designated school official (DSO).

To work off campus, students will need to have completed at least one full academic year of their program of study, and have an economic hardship that qualifies for the Department of Homeland Security’s emergent circumstances. From this point, check with your DSO to see if you are eligible for either Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Apply to study English in the USA

If you are interested in studying English in the USA, apply with SI-English today. We can help you apply and guarantee you an offer letter from a school within 24 hours. Learn more about English Schools in New YorkLos Angeles and Washington.

© SI-English | All rights reserved | Privacy Policy